Countess Josephine

An Island Francophile with British roots rolled together with solid Americana, garnished with Asian/African heritage and a whisper of the Mediterranean, I love to practice random acts of kindness and senseless acts of beauty. Throwing some Sunshine your way - Enjoy!

Sunday, July 7, 2013

Fire Up that Torch!

my work space and color choices
Yes, I took a class - Surprise Surprise!!

Glass blowing beads this time. I loved it and am still trying to figure out how I can fit a proper workspace and torch in my NYC apartment. Torches... apartment - hmmmm - maybe not. I mean they rent studio space outside for this, but when the creative bug hits you at midnight what do you do?

Anyway, I had an awesome teacher, Amy Lemaire and co-teacher, Maria Aroche and it was so unbelievably easy to catch on. But alas, patience or the lack thereof was my enemy. It took at least 30 minutes to make a small bead nice and round, and 45 minutes to make it beautiful. I think I forgot I was a beginner (way to excited) and two of them did not make it.

freshly cleaned
just out the kiln
The class was a two-day intensive at Brooklyn's very own Urban Glass and I did not want it to end. I fancied in my day dreams that I was going to be another Stephanie Sersich or Heather Trimlett and even to be as good as Amy, who by the way makes beads look like they created in another dimension; they are just beautiful. These ladies are so talented that I was green with envy.

glass rods - hard to choose
However, I was very lucky to get Amy as my instructor, she is brilliant. We are planning a trip to Upstate NY and to the Corning Museum. They have demonstrations everyday on glass blowing and even quick workshops for kids. Anyone, any age can make something. Very exciting stuff huh? Stay tuned - I will report back when ever we get the chance to go.

Links:
Amy Lemaire
Amy's Site
Maria Aroche
Urban Glass
Giving back at Urban Glass
Stephanie Sersich
Heather Trimlett
Corning Museum

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Been to the Corning Glass works (in the 60s) and it was amazing....probably better now!

L.S.