Countess Josephine

An Island Francophile with British roots rolled together with solid Americana, garnished with Asian/African heritage and a whisper of the Mediterranean, I love to practice random acts of kindness and senseless acts of beauty. Throwing some Sunshine your way - Enjoy!

Wednesday, July 4, 2012

Red, White & Cool

I subscribe to Martha Stewart Living and rest assured her team always comes up with the best ideas to celebrate every holiday you can imagine. The Fourth of July is no different from cupcakes to cool drinks and if it's a creation in red, white and blue with simplistic elegance, then it must be MSL.
My daughter, Miss Aubergine wanted to make cupcakes. I wanted a relaxing day off with nothing to do but lay around like the Countess that I am. So when I came across the recipe for Fruit Salad Ice Pops, an efficiency light bulb hit me over the head.

"YooHOOOOO Epiphany!!" "Why spend anytime in the kitchen making it hotter than necessary; make cool treats in honor of America's birthday and relax the whole time." - That's one smart lightbulb.

Thanking my forsight for having frozen all the fruit from the last trip to the farmer's market, (a smoothie is never too far away in our house) I gathered the necessary ingredients and tools and ...

popsicle holders - check,
popsicle molds - ahhhh no check

Miss Aubergine was playing with them and ahhh no ((shrugged shoulders)) - I guess we must improvise. I am beginning to think this blog is about improvising.

hmmmm!

Well, we have plastic cups and wooden popsicle sticks, strawberries, blueberries and white grape juice - sounds like we have a plan. As the original recipe stated, I compacted the fruit as much as possible into the cups and poured 100% grape juice in to cover. Into the freezer they went.  After an hour and a half, we served them on the stick and in bowls with a dollop of whipped cream. Thanks Martha - the kids were over joyed.

Easy tips: wedge sticks in middle of strawberries to ensure there is no movement and do not overfill - remember it expands in the freezer.

Celebrating Big and Keeping it Cool - Happy 4th Y'all!!

MSL Links and other fun pops we will be trying next:

Fruit Salad Ice Pops
Fire Cracker Pops
Striped Ice Pops
Beach Umbrella Pops

No comments: