Countess Josephine

An Island Francophile with British roots rolled together with solid Americana, garnished with Asian/African heritage and a whisper of the Mediterranean, I love to practice random acts of kindness and senseless acts of beauty. Throwing some Sunshine your way - Enjoy!

Sunday, January 10, 2010

Madeleines - Ne Me Quitte Pas



Oh Madeleine, why do you elude me so...Madeleines, Madeleines everywhere. I haven't made any of these delicious mini cakes in ages, cause let's just say I have been busy with the kinder if you can imagine. But I have been feeling for them, so I baked and they didn't come out. Quite honestly, I used an old tried and true recipe but no go and I am not even sure why it didn't work. Ok maybe it was the fact that I didn't have enough superfine sugar and used a substitute. Shortly before the sugar thing, I had to separate four egg whites . Number 4 was bloody and I had to throw it out and start over again, then the sugar incident. I carried on but to add insult to injury, they came out too sweet, too dense and almost burnt.

I thought to myself I will try again tomorrow. I started over and got interrupted as usual by the kids/life and pushed it aside.

Later, I started again with another
Madeleine recipe to experiment with ('cause one can never have to many). This time I used whole eggs and #3 was bloody. Blimey, bullocks, bloody hell was this a sign to get out the kitchen and stop fancying myself a Chef? I mean extra effort was taken to go to the store and purchase a fresh new carton of eggs and further effort to break each one separately in a bowl, before adding it to the mix. HUMPF!?


I started over again. This time late into the night while the kids slept and dreamt of Madeleines what else! It didn't take long to get into the swing. I hummed along to Simone, Breul and anyone who did a version of "ne me quitte pas"as I whipped and twirled till the batter was a perfect texture. Lovingly pouring the batter into the signature shell shape molds I started to dream of the perfect cup of coffee to go with the my petite galettes. Somewhere in the distance a record scratched bringing me back to reality. I poured too much and it was over flowing. Oh well I said to them, you will just have to be giant Madelienes.


I WAITED IMPATIENTLY...no patiently for them to come out of the oven - I kept looking at them, checking them, they kept growing; then ding - finally - finished.
Wouldn't you know it, the overflow was stuck to the pan and they wouldn't come out and when they did they no longer looked like a Madeleine. Argh!!!!!!!!!!!!!


My Thoughts are Winged...
Toujours,
CJ
ps: my family still thought them to be delicious...go figure us perfectionists!

No comments: