Countess Josephine

An Island Francophile with British roots rolled together with solid Americana, garnished with Asian/African heritage and a whisper of the Mediterranean, I love to practice random acts of kindness and senseless acts of beauty. Throwing some Sunshine your way - Enjoy!

Saturday, April 4, 2009

Camping - Breton Style

Many times over the years I have lived all over the world for one reason or another. Most of the times it was not for long, because like most social butterflies, I was bored quite easily.

This story stems from a decision made by Jean-Pierre, mon ex-mari while we were living in Perros-Guirec, Brittany. We had purchased a car and J-P worked a night gig, (he always had to show off his skills in the night club business), but needless to say we were having fun and J-P thought it would be fun and exciting to experience all things - adventurous. In his heart and mind he was at peace with the child within. Me on the other hand, did not like these childish whims.

I was use to the jet-set life and was quite put out by the entire experience. When faced with an issue, J-P decided, he would rather live in a tent than live with the annoying, opinionated landlord. It was a fast solution for us since searching for another apartment would take as long as we had plan to stay on in Brittany and it was not as expensive as staying in a hotel during peak season. So that was that. We went out, bought camping gear, sleeping bags, etc and off we went to enjoy one of France summer pastimes.

It was loads of fun at first, eating under the stars, picnic style, but the annoyances came and the fun diminished. Once I tried to wash my hair for the first time. Well, you put coins in to get water, but it's on a timer and you have to finish washing before the water runs out. The first time I didn't finish and with a line waiting, I had to be contented with the shampoo-filled look. At night I became unable to sleep, because of all the weird noises, especially knowing that I didn't speak French very well and if anyone realized that I was alone at night in this lonely area of the camp ground...well lets just say bad things came to mind. J-P told me I shouldn't worry and he came and went like life was good, but then, that was his nature. He could live in a tent with nothing or in the lap of luxury.

As I look back now, it was fun, adventurous and a humbling experience, even though I wouldn't do it again any time soon. I must say that camping under the stars was romantic, with no tv or radio we actually talked and learned to live life simply. Moreover, it was a great reminder of how to appreciate the little things in life, like toilet paper, a soft bed and the power of love and friendship.

I will not mention the name of the actual camp ground, but there is a link to the area facilities below.

Bisou,
Josephine


Links to Camping in Brittany:

http://www.eurocampings.co.uk/en/europe/france/brittany/cotes-d%27armor/

No comments: