Countess Josephine

An Island Francophile with British roots rolled together with solid Americana, garnished with Asian/African heritage and a whisper of the Mediterranean, I love to practice random acts of kindness and senseless acts of beauty. Throwing some Sunshine your way - Enjoy!

Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Mon Dieu, resisting the resistance?


I am the leader of the resistance movement and I am unable to resist this man who may be a spy or even worse, an assassin. But he was so handsome and his face seemed so kind that I could not help but sigh at the mere and fleeting thought of love.

As the men brought the lanky lifeless body back to camp on a make shift stretcher, I couldn’t help but wonder what he was doing there lying among the poppies. But I would know soon enough. After what seemed like an endless patch job to clean any wounds and kill all infections, I fell asleep next to our mystery man. After a night of uninterrupted sleep, I awoke to find him staring at me.

"Are you the angel that carried me to heaven?" he whispered.
"No" I replied, "heaven has nicer accommodations".
He smiled and winced at the same time.
"You should try not to move, you were wounded pretty bad. By the way, what's your name and what were you doing our there in the middle of the poppy fields?" I was more curious than suspicious.
"My name is Edward and I was trying to desert my company; I just couldn't take the killing of all these innocent people." He winced again. "Noble" I thought.
"Then, I got caught in some overhead fire and well I just kept running", he continued in dry raspy tones. "I don't remember much after that."
"Well get your rest. You have much healing to do!" I said with much more authority than necessary.
As Edward closed his eyes I stood to leave. He grabbed my hand, "what is your name or should I just call you Angel?"
"My name is Sophie Laurent."
His grip lessened and he fell asleep again. I left the make shift room and summoned one of the best men in the camp to gather some intelligence on our visitor. By tonight the mystery would be solved.

(Photo from the RAF Regiment Museum)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I love this! So much potential. Please continue.