Countess Josephine

An Island Francophile with British roots rolled together with solid Americana, garnished with Asian/African heritage and a whisper of the Mediterranean, I love to practice random acts of kindness and senseless acts of beauty. Throwing some Sunshine your way - Enjoy!

Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Memories of Brittany

Children’s sing:

“J’aime la galette, savez-vous comment ? Quand elle est bien faite, avec du beurre dedans.” (“I like galette, do you know how? When it is made well, with butter inside.”)

Bretagne and life as a Breton could only be described one way... peaceful. In my opinion, Brittany is one of the most picturesque places in France next to Provence. The fusion of Celtic and Cornish influences lends to it's charm and warmth. Most of the country is surrounded by water, so spending time by the seashore, sipping cider or munching on a freshly made galette is only natural.  

I remember walking from our stone cottage with it's typical French blue shutters and hedges of hydrandrea to the Boulangerie every morning for fresh bread. It was my pleasure. Coffee, fresh pain du chocolat and the crisp morning air was all one needed to welcome the day. Sitting out in the shady orchard, I felt a deep quietness in my soul, one with nature, a belonging, a connection. 

Aujourd'hui and in my mind, I will have lunch at a little cafe on the plage de Trestel, hopefully find some shells to add to my collection and then head to Quimper. I must find the perfect cafe au lait bowls. Then it will be back to Perros Guirec for dinner. Ah, the Côte de Granit Rose how I love it so. 

Well now I am awake and back in New York City, where I am off to march with the masses, cram myself among the other sardines and enjoy the rat race.

Ciao for now,

No comments: