Countess Josephine

An Island Francophile with British roots rolled together with solid Americana, garnished with Asian/African heritage and a whisper of the Mediterranean, I love to practice random acts of kindness and senseless acts of beauty. Throwing some Sunshine your way - Enjoy!

Sunday, August 31, 2008

In My Past Life I was...

...famous for my strength and courage. I overcame great odds to help my fellow soldiers and fallen airmen. It was World War II and three-fifths of the country was under the control of Nazi Germany. We had to pay 6 francs to 1 duetschmark creating a serious crisis for the country without even trying.

Everyone worked where they could, food and materials were scarce. In the midst of all this chaos, I fell in love with an English airman. He was beautiful and from the moment we met, there were sparks. My name shall remain a secret to protect the children of family members that no longer belong to the same flag and of course his, because I swore, never to utter it in public. You see, he was unhappily married back home. A duke of some sort and we really  had no time for romance. The country was crumbling around us and companionship got us through the bad times. 

Anyway, I found him one day, laying among the poppies. He was unconscious and bleeding from a gunshot wound in the thigh. My men brought him back to our camp even though we could trust no one with it's location. But I looked at him and knew we had to help him.

As you may have guessed by now I was with the resistance. It was a long time ago, but I still remember it as if it was yesterday. The sound of planes over head, flying low and dropping bombs where ever there was life. Families displaced, hungry and unsure; their beloved France torn and tattered. We did what we could to ease the burden of many. I worked during the evenings as a cafe waitress and garnered as much information as I could to curtail the Germans efforts. Secret locations, stratagem and even routes through which many soldiers would pass. 

It gnawed at me to be among them, but I did what was necessary to get the information, even pretending to love a high ranking SS officer. Times have changed and we are all friends now, but it is a life a past that will not easily be forgotten.

toujours la vie an rose,   

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This is so interesting. Sounds like an epic film.